Friday, February 29, 2008

Flashback Friday

This is a first photo of Hayden and Ava together for the first time since they were born. It was pretty emotional for us because there should have been three more babies with them. I cherish this picture.
I am doing Kangaroo Care with Ava for the first time. I remember her tolerating this very well. Getting to do kangaroo care is so important for the baby and the mommy. To actually hold your baby skin-to-skin really felt like she was mine and not the NICU's baby (you feel like you have not control when you are in the NICU because as parents we don't have the knowledge on how to take care of a preemie. So, you rely on the doctors and nurses to let you know what is good for your baby.)

I am doing Kangaroo care with Hayden for the first time. It was awesome!
Brian is going to kill me when he sees that I put this picture up, but it is the only picture I have on delivery day. I wouldn't let my mom take a picture of me. I really regret it now, but I was absolutely miserable and not in a picture taking mode.
I think this picture is precious of them together.
So, I am going to try something new. Every Friday I will try to post a "flashback" from when my kids were born or their baby years. I say try because school has been keeping me really busy. I hope you enjoy the "flashbacks."

Sidenote: I am going to get on my soapbox for just a minute. I just want people to know that Hayden and Ava are NOT twins! They are surviving quintuplets. I was never pregnant with twins, so I do not have twins. This is important for my children to know. They do know that they have brothers up in Heaven. They can tell you their names. Every time we go out people still ask if they are twins. When they were babies we would always just say "yes" because we didn't want to explain. But now things are different. We say "no" to the question because Hayden and Ava are always listening and we don't want them to forget their brothers. Also, please don't say "atleast you have two." That is the most irritating thing to hear. We didn't lose three m & m's and now atleast we have two to eat. We lost three children. I know people don't say that to be mean or whatever, but it hurts the parents that it is said to. Ok, I got that off my chest. I better go w0rk on paperwork for school. I hope everyone has a super great weekend!

3 comments:

Meg said...

Yea for Flashback Fridays!!!

Anonymous said...

Love it Robin...those are precious photos of Ava and Hayden! I remember seeing them for the first time in February when they were still in the hospital...so precious! And I love that you are so adamant in honoring the memory of Gabriel, Elliott and Miles!

Jenn said...

Thanks for sharing that, Robin--Brian sent out e-mails and pictures when the kids were born but I never knew what you guys had gone through.

I've started a blog for our family as well--not nearly as complete as yours--hopefully it will be after tax season! It's: www.indywiards.blogspot.com.